| Sweet Bread |
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 large Egg
¾ cup Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Angostura Bitters
½ cup Butter, softened
3 cups All-purpose Flour
3 tsp. Baking Powder
½ cup Mixed Peel
1 cup Raisins
½ cup Maraschino Cherries
½ cup Currants
1 fresh coconut, grated or 12 oz grated coconut
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350-F degrees and lightly oil a 9-inch by 5-inch bread pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, blend together the grated coconut, sugar, egg, and milk.
3. Add the vanilla, bitters, and butter; cream the mixture until thoroughly blended.
4. Sift together the flour and the baking powder; add to the coconut-egg mixture.
5. Add the mixed peel, raisins, maraschino cherries, and currants to the mix. Stir well with a wooden spoon to blend the fruits through the dough-like batter.
6. Pour the dough into the prepared bread pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
7. Let cool for several minutes before turning the sweet bread out onto a rack to cool completely